Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Southwestern Veggie Soup with Crispy Corn Tortilla Strips

Howdy! So are you ready to get back into a normal routine after our fabulous 4 day weekend...or 3 day weekend if the case may be?? I love long weekends and wish they could last forever, but unfortunately I'm back to work and back to reality starting today. Even though yesterday was still part of the long weekend for me, Derek was back to work and our family dinners were done and over with, so I decided no more indulging and no more eating desserts!!

Yesterday was the start of "Operation: Kill the Cream Egg Calories"! Even though I had the day off, I still dragged my booty out of bed at 5:45 a.m. and went to an early morning spin class. I was so glad I went because it totally kicked my butt! I went the furthest (15.7 km) and burned the most calories (over 400!!!) than ever before. I had jelly legs for quite a while afterwards.

When I got home, I had tons of energy and motivation and I decided that a veggie soup would be the perfect meal for lunches this week, but I wanted to do something a little different than the usual soup filled with veggie broth and veggies. Since we love Mexican food, I decided to kick my veggie soup up a notch by adding some chili powder and cumin. In addition to all the fresh veggies, I also added some corn and black beans. It turned out great and is an absolutely perfect soup for a week that is calling for rain every. single. day.  Boo!

Southwestern Veggie Soup with Crispy Corn Tortilla Strips
Makes a large pot

This soup is filled with lots of veggies, as well as black beans and a can of corn. It's got the perfect kick with some chili powder and cumin thrown in and will warm you up on these rainy ol' days from your head to your toes.

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 - 5 c chopped  veggies (I used carrots, celery, brocolli, cauliflower & green beans)
3 tbsp cubanello pepper, finely diced (optional - you could use any type of hot pepper)
2 cloves garlic, minced
19 oz can black beans
12 oz can corn (fresh or frozen corn would also work)
19 oz can diced tomatoes
4 c vegetable broth
2 c water
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
black pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the veggies and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.



Add the rest of the soup ingredients and mix well. Increase heat to high. Bring your soup to a boil and then reduce heat again to medium.


Be careful of the steam! This is about the point when I burned my wrist when I took the lid off my pot.



Let your soup simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.


Remove the soup from your stove and ladle into bowls.


I topped mine with crispy corn tortilla strips. All you do is follow my baked nachos recipe, but instead of cutting the corn tortillas into wedges, you cut them into strips.


This soup would also be amazing topped with sour cream, green onions and cheddar cheese. That will definitely be Derek's version!!

I think this soup is just perfect for my mission. I have a shopping trip with the girls in two weeks, so I need to be in tip top shape, so I can get some new clothes for the warmer weather that I'm sure is just around the corner. No more chocolate, no more cream eggs and no more SUGAR!! I'm going to be fueling up on lots of savoury dishes filled with veggies, beans and whole grains and my mornings are going to be filled with lots and lots of green smoothies!!

Did you over-indulge in cream eggs and all things sweet this weekend? What is your plan for getting back on track?

What is your favourite meal on gray rainy days?

I hope you are rested and relaxed and all revved up to get this short week started. Have a great day!
Andrea

6 comments:

  1. mmmmmm.....I am sooo making this recipe this week! I am also on a no sugar kick. I'll be looking forward to your other recipes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup looks so delicious and full of veggies! Soup is a rainy day meal for me also, I just made one last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely had my share of sweets this weekend...although not as many as years past. I feel like I kept it within reason thank goodness. Although now we do have TONS of Easter candy chilling in the pantry. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only ate one cream egg so I behaved pretty good lol I'm not one to make soups but I love the corn chips. Yumm :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks awesome and so healthy! Springtime is the best time for cleansing/no sugaring -- it's a great time for your body to rejuvenate along with the green lovliness outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks aweeeeesome! <3 I love making veggie soup in a giant batch and eating it for days! It def helps fill my belly and make up for over-indulgence. Creme eggs were my weakness this spring! =) I say were b/c im not allowed to buy them anymore! (well... until I see them next!)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete